Minister of Foreign Affairs Abdelkader Messahel stated that his recent round of visits in several Arab countries, in implementation of instructions from the President of the Republic, was “very fruitful” and that he was able to conclude agreements for the set up of joint committees dedicated “exclusively to economic issues”.
“My tour was very fruitful and our message was well understood”; stated Mr. Messahel at the press briefing after the tour, adding that he found, among the leaders of the Arab countries, the will of strengthening links through consultation and dialogue in order to handle the challenges faced by the region.
“We expressed our vision on the League of Arab States and we emphasized the necessity of making it efficient in the face of the crisis which the Arab world is facing”, he stated, insisting that the Pan-Arab organization should “adapt to political and geostrategic changes in the region”.
At the same occasion, Messahel said that the leaders of the Arab countries that he met during his tour expressed interest in learning from the Algerian experience as far as the fight against terrorism is concerned adding that Algeria is seen as a success story to learn from in the fight against terrorism and violent extremism.
He also revealed that during his visits, they agreed with Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Jordan, Bahrain and Egypt to put in place joint committees dedicated exclusively to economic cooperation.
While responding to a journalist’s question about the Gulf crisis, the Minister confirmed that Algerian diplomacy takes a neutral position and “shares the same distance with all the parties of the conflict”, emphasizing Algeria’s stance of “non-interference in other countries’ affairs”. He explained that his round of visits in the Arab countries was in support to other political initiatives and “not just Algeria’s own initiative” towards solving the crisis.
He reaffirmed the fact that Algeria was “the first country to advocate for a dialogue-based solution”.
Regarding the Libyan crisis, the head of Algerian diplomacy said that Algeria had made enormous diplomatic efforts towards solving this crisis “far from spectacular diplomacy”, adding that these efforts had been deeply appreciated by all the parties in the conflict as well as the international community.
Asked about the Palestine issue, especially the recent events in the occupied Al-Quds, Mr. Messahel indicated that Algeria which chaired the 147th session of the Council of the Arab league advocated for a common position of the Arab countries and the necessity of placing the Palestinian cause at the centre of the issues of the Arab nation.
In addition, the Minister said that the appointment of Algeria’s new Ambassador to France (whose position has been vacant for months) shall be done “at the appropriate time when new diplomatic appointments are made”, adding that these decisions are a prerogative of the President.
- Meeting with Deputy Prime Minister of Bahrain, Khaled Ben Abdallah : discussions on enhancing bilateral ties as well as situation in region.
- With Minister of Foreign Affairs of Bahrain, Khaled Ben Ahmed Al Khalifa discussing bilateral relation, ways of their enhancement & situation in the region.
- With King of Bahrain, Hamed Ben Issa Al-Khalifa: handing a message sent by President Abdelaziz Bouteflika to King of Bahrain.
- With President of Republic of Iraq, Fouad Massoum: transmitting message from President Abdelaziz Bouteflika to President Found Massoum.
- A visit to Abdelkader Al-Jilani Mosque & his mausoleum in Bagdad : a historical, cultural & spiritual site that links between Algeria & Iraq.
- With Prime Minister of Irak, Al-Abadi: discussions on bilateral relations, ways of their enhancement, situation in the region & fighting terrorism 08/08
- With Minister of Foreign Affairs of Iraq: discussions bilateral relations, international & regional issues, & fight against terrorism & violent extremism.
- With Speaker Iraqi Parliament: parliamentary Diplomacy, Algerian experience in fighting terrorism &reconciliation at center of discussions.
- With Prince Faycal of Jordan: handing a message sent by President Abdelaziz Bouteflika to his brother King Abdallah II.
- With Ayman Safadi, MoFA of #Jordan : discussions on bilateral relations, ways of their enhancement & situation in the Arab world 07/08
- With Cheikh Jaber : discussions on enhancing bilateral cooperation through commercial ties & investments between Algeria & Kuwait 07/08
- Declaration to Algerian & Kuwaiti TVs: Algeria supports efforts deployed by Emir Sabah Al-Ahmed to settle the crisis in Golf region.
- With Emir of Kuwait, cheikh Sabah Al-Ahmed: handing a message sent by President Abdelaziz Bouteflika to Cheikh Sabah.
- With Minister of Foreign Affairs of Koweit : discussions on bilateral relations, ways of strengthening cooperation & situation in the region.
- With Minister of Foreign Affairs of Qatar : discussions on bilateral relations & situation in the region.
- With Emir of Qatar, Cheikh Tamim: transmitting a message of President Abdelaziz Bouteflika to Emir Tamim.
- Visit to Sultan Qaboos Mosque in Muscat & viewing its history & facilities .
- With Minister of Foreign Affairs of Oman, Youcef Ben Alaoui: bilateral relations, ways of their enhancement, & situation in the region among discussed issues.
- Consultations with Minister of Foreign Affairs of Egypt, Sameh Choukri: discussions on bilateral relations, ways of their enhancement & situation in the region.
- Meeting with President of Egypt, Abdelfattah Al-Sissi: handing a message sent by President Abdelaziz Bouteflika to President Abdelfattah Al-Sissi.
- With Crown Prince Mohamed Bin Salmane : transmitting oral message of President Abdelaziz Bouteflika to King Salmane Bin Abdelaziz.
- With Minister of Foreign Affairs of Saudi Arabia, Adel Al Jubeir : discussions on Algeria-Saudi Arabia relations, ways of their enhancement & situation in the region.